Boeing has opened its first European manufacturing plant in Sheffield, plus a commercial aviation maintenance hangar at Gatwick airport and the company is working with the Ministry of Defence on plans for a Royal Air Force P-8A Poseidon facility at RAF Lossiemouth in Scotland. Together these developments will create an additional several hundred jobs in the UK at Boeing, the company’s partners and its supply chain.
A 2018 report from Oxford Economics shows that:
- Boeing activities supported more than 74,000 jobs in the UK in 2017 [33% higher than five years ago]
- Almost 29,000 people employed as a result of Boeing UK operations, its purchases and the spending of those employed directly or in its supply chain
- An additional 44,900 jobs supported by the supply of equipment and services directly to Boeing’s customers (consequential impact)
- 54% of Boeing’s European workforce is located in the UK; Boeing employed in 2017 almost 2,300 people in various sites across the country (direct employment impact)
- In 2017, Boeing spent more than $2.3 billion with tier 1 suppliers based in the UK