Innovation and technology are at the heart of what we do at Boeing, and they are fundamental to continual environmental improvement. As a company, we understand that environmental responsibility is crucial to our long-term success and our second century in business.
Air travel is an essential and inspirational part of modern life: it helps drive economic growth and prosperity, brings people around the world closer together, and opens the door to new life experiences. And our industry continues to grow. According to the International Air Transport Association (IATA), every day more than 8 million people fly to their destinations, and thousands of cargo and defense aircraft also take to the skies. Boeing expects this trend to continue over the next 20 years, with world passenger traffic projected to grow 5 percent annually and the commercial airplane fleet expected to nearly double by 2032.
We are committed to responsible environmental leadership as we serve our customers and as our business and industry grows. Our strategy to achieve this is made up of three tenets: Designing the Future, Innovating to Zero and Inspiring Global Collaboration.
Boeing is committed to offering the most advanced and fuel-efficient family of airplanes and services to our customers and to:
- Conducting operations in compliance with applicable environmental laws, regulations, and Boeing policies and procedures.
- Preventing pollution by conserving energy and resources, recycling, reducing waste and pursuing other source reduction strategies.
- Continually improving our environmental management system.
- Working together with our stakeholders on activities that promote environmental protection and stewardship.
We are continually researching new, innovative technologies to improve our company’s and our industry’s environmental performance. That includes improving operational efficiency for our customers with digital tools; using advanced, lightweight materials and improved aerodynamics to reduce our products’ fuel consumption; developing and commercializing new sustainable fuel sources; developing hybrid, solar and electric-powered aircraft; accelerating the efficiency of our facilities; and working with institutions, governments and stakeholders to build cleaner communities worldwide.
We are already investing in:
- Producing more fuel efficient aircraft
- Facilitating the development of alternative low-CO2 fuel technologies with airline and fuel producing partners, including fuel cells and sustainable aviation biofuels
- A pioneering program of noise reduction technologies – for example at take-off the Boeing 787 Dreamliner’s noise contour would be contained within the airport boundary at London Heathrow Airport
- Installation of low NOx combustors on our new aircraft to improve local air quality
- Aircraft recycling technologies for composites and other new materials
- Research into more efficient air traffic management systems
- Enhancing the energy efficiency and environmental performance of our UK operations which includes a programme of energy efficiency measures and gaining ISO14001 accreditation for our sites.
The Boeing 2015 Environment Report can be accessed here.
Boeing UK each year delivers a series of education and volunteering activities in schools and in the community focused on the importance of positive action to protect the environment.