Boeing has had a historic partnership with the UK for over 80 years. During that time, we’ve grown to almost 2,500 employees in 65 locations in the UK and Ireland, across three main business areas: commercial, defence and global services.
We have a long-standing relationship with British industry, the armed forces and the air transport industry. Today, the UK remains a critically important market, supplier base and a source of some of the world’s most innovative technology partners.
Our newest locations
Last year, we opened our first European manufacturing site in Sheffield. The £40m factory makes commercial aircraft components for the 737 and 767 supply chain.
We announced an £88m commercial aviation maintenance hangar at London Gatwick and have just extended a flight simulator facility nearby, making it our largest training campus outside of the U.S.
Together with the Ministry of Defence, we’re investing £100m to build a strategic facility for the P-8A maritime patrol aircraft at RAF Lossiemouth in Scotland.
Our employees and supply chain
A 2018 report from Oxford Economics shows that:
- Boeing activities supported more than 74,000 jobs in the UK in 2017 (33% higher than five years ago).
- Almost 29,000 people are employed as a result of Boeing UK operations, its purchases and the spending of those employed directly or in its supply chain
- An additional 44,900 jobs supported by the supply of equipment and services directly to Boeing’s customers (consequential impact).
- 54% of Boeing’s European workforce is located in the UK; Boeing employed in 2017 almost 2,300 people in various sites across the country (direct employment impact).
- In 2017, Boeing spent more than £1.8 billion with tier 1 suppliers based in the UK.
Our products and innovation
Nearly 400 Boeing aeroplanes are operated in the UK with 12 carriers. There are 136 Boeing Chinook, Apache and Globemaster aircraft providing battle-winning, life-saving capability to the UK armed forces.
In 2018, we spent £16.5m promoting UK innovation, doubling the investment in Boeing UK R&D since 2015.